Glass, Elliot, & Company was formed in 1854 when George Elliot, a mining engineer and colliery owner, formed a partnership with Richard Glass and took over the wire rope manufacturer Kuper and Company of Greenwich, near London. The new company also took on a number of Kuper's contracts for the manufacture of submarine telegraph cables.

In 1864 Glass, Elliot, and Company merged with the Gutta Percha Company to form the Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Company.

More Information