According to donor Barbara Thompson, her mother, Mrs Florence May Henty-Wilson (nee Stanyon), purchased gloves from perhaps as early as 1915 through to about 1940. These gloves were later donated to the Museum. The gloves reflect the circles of taste and refinement in which she moved and also her musical interests - gloves were standard etiquette for the period at social occasions such as concerts or when attending church. Florence was already an accomplished pianist when the family moved from Britain in 1912. The family lived at Richmond Hill and had orchards and a dairy cow (the land subsequently became the Pelaco shirt factory). Soon after arrival in Melbourne, Florence became a pupil of Dr Floyd, the organist of St Paul's Cathedral, and in years to come played frequently at St Columb's Anglican Church, Hawthorn, mostly when the main organist was away. Included in the Museum's collection is a key to St Columbs that was found in one of the gloves. Florence was also involved in the choir at St Stephen's Church, Richmond, where she met her future husband, John Arundel Henty-Wilson (grandson of James Henty of Portland). Her two sisters also found husbands through the church.
Several pairs of the gloves were supplied by local department stores (Myer, Mutual Stores, Buckley and Nunn) even though the gloves were actually made in Europe. However, at least one pair was most likely bought on site in Europe. It is stamped as being made in 'Firenze', and a diary entry shows that while on her honeymoon in Florence, Mrs Henty-Wilson 'bought some gloves and got seven pairs for under 2 (pounds)'.