John Wood Fleming was local politician and a Justice of the Peace. He lived at 270 Park West, Brunswick. As a Councillor he represented South Ward. He sat on a Public Works committee in 1900, and was elected Mayor the same year. In August 1902 he retired from this role.

Fleming Park, the 1919 home of the East Brunswick cricket and football clubs, may be named after Fleming or a member of his family.

He may also be the same John Wood Fleming, eldest son of Robert Fleming and his wife Janet Robertson, who in 1830 took possession of the land by the Maribyrnong River.

Victoria Racing Club website, accessed 18 Feb 2004.

More Information