Mason and Struthers was the business name used by partners Frederick Mason and Robert Struthers from 1878 to 1899, when they ran an ironmongery business in Christchurch, New Zealand. Their premises were at the corner of Colombo and Lichfield Streets, and the company continued to trade at that address in various forms until at least 1950.

The partnership was dissolved in 1899 when Mason came to Australia to promote the Deering reaping and binding machine, and Struthers continued the business on his own. He sold it in 1903 and lived out the rest of his life in his home in Christchurch. After his death his house became a hostel for a Girls' High School.

The company's tokens were struck by Stokes & Martin of Melbourne, circa 1872, according to the Museum Victoria catalogue.

The Canterbury Branch of the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand (1950). They Made their Own Money: The Story of Early Canterbury Traders & their Tokens, pp.25-30.

More Information