The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) was established by Act of the Victorian Parliament in 1890 and came into operation in March 1891. The MMBW was responsible for ensuring that the Melbourne area had 'an adequate supply of pure water and an efficient sanitation system'. The MMBW was responsible for the construction of the Spotswood Sewerage Pumping Station, built between 1893 and 1897, and the Werribee Treatment Works as part of Melbourne's first centralised sewerage system. Most of Melbourne's larger water supply dams were built by MMBW during the period after 1900.
The MMBW became Melbourne Water with the proclamation of the Melbourne Water Act in July 1992. MMBW traded as Melbourne Water from 1 September 1991.
Dingle, Tony & Rasmussen, Carolyn (1991). Vital Connections - Melbourne and its Board of Works 1891-1991, McPhee Gribble, Penguin Books Australia Ltd, Melbourne.