In 1874 W.J. Amor was apprenticed to English medallists J.S. and A.B. Wyon. Nine years later he went to Paris, where he remained until 1887. Intending to go to America and work his way home to England, he visited Sydney en route and was persuaded by Robert Hunt, Deputy-Master of the Sydney Mint, to stay and start his own business. Amor established the business in 1888 and married the daughter of the Chief Engineer of the Sydney Mint. His first work, a medal for the Women's Exhibition of 1888, was highly skilled, as was his Australian Centenary medal of the same year.

A die engraver, in his later years Amor prided himself in continuing to work 'by hand in the old fashioned way'. He worked hard, 'many times 20 hours out of 24 for very little remuneration'. He particularly enjoyed large modelling work.

The business was based for many years in Mountain Street, Chippendale. In 1914 it moved to 24 Wentworth Street, Sydney, and three years later became a limited company, in which principal employees were given an interest. In 1935 Amor sold his share to A.H. Byatt, retaining a position as Advisory Director of the business. In 1942 the business moved to 1 Marshall Street, Surrry Hills, and was later renamed Amor-Sanders, continuing under the management of Ronald Byatt for many years.

Carlisle, L.J. (1983). Australian Commemorative Medals and Medalets from 1788. Brian Kench/B&C Press Limited. New South Wales.

More Information