Red, machine pressed brick with a frog on one side, made by John Glew's brickmaking company at his Brunswick works. Part of a collection of bricks donated to the Museum by Myles Whelan when his family demolition and scrap merchant company went in to receivership in 1991.
John Glew was one of the earliest brickmakers in Brunswick. From early Melbourne directories he is thought to have established his works around a clay pit in Brunswick Road, Brunswick in 1849. In 1857 he moved to a site at the eastern end of Barkly Street. From 1877 to 1900 he also operated a pit in Weston Street, where he made pottery goods as well as bricks. After Glew left the business, the Barkly Brick Company, later the Barkly Brick and Tile Company took over his Barkly Street site.

Physical Description

Red, machine pressed brick with frog on one side. Maker's mark is impressed in the frog. The brick is lightly covered with remnant cement.

More Information