Membership medal number 1151 for Collingwood Football Club, 1965. The medal belonged to club supporter, W.Tiedman (who subsequently received a 25 year membership medal, 1945-1971).
Made by K. G. Luke.
Medal, circular shaped, featuring green and black enamel work consisting of a magpie with 'Collingwood Football club' inscribed along bottom with 'member number '1151' inscribed at base. Black and white cord attached to ring at top.
Collingwood was formed to compete in the original Victorian Football Association in 1892; then split away with seven other clubs to form the Victorian Football League in 1897. Victoria Park, the club's home ground, was also inaugurated in 1892 and Collingwood played their home games there until 1999; and trained there until 2004.
Collingwood has traditionally been known for a massive and passionate supporter base and, like many other teams, paid-up members sported with pride their medallions identifying their allegiance.
Their club song, 'Good Old Collingwood Forever,' sung to the tune of 'Goodbye Dolly Gray' is said to be the first club song in VFL/AFL history. Collingwood retains the record for having competed in more VFL/AFL grand finals than any other club, as well as holding a record four consecutive grand final winning streak from 1927-30. Collingwood also endured a losing streak of nine grand finals between 1960 and 1981, inspiring the term 'the Colliwobbles' in the local vernacular.
Cast in to front: "COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB / 1151 / 1965" Reverse has the maker's stamp 'Swann & Hudson, Frankston'.
Type of item
27 mm (Length), 27 mm (Width), 0.2 mm (Depth)
Measurement of badge only.
100 mm (Length), 26 mm (Width), 0.4 mm (Depth)