Black and white photograph showing two electric motor driven 1.6MW (450 ton) centrifugal refrigeration compressor chillers in the Machine Hall of the Power House (Building 11) of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd Coburg factory complex during the construction phase circa 1959. These chiller sets were amongst the first equipment to be installed in the Power House for the factory start-up period, to service roll and sheet film finishing in Buildings 4 and 5, plus necessary testing in Building 7.
The 3ºC chilled water was circulated to the first production buildings via the services gantry while the cooling water was circulated through a single Marley cooling tower.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
High angle interior view of factory looking down at large factory chillers. A man, unknown, is standing next to the rear unit and taking readings from the panels. He wears overalls and holds a clipboard. The steel columns and trussed roof structure of the Machine Hall are clearly visible along with the overhead crane rail.
Black and white photograph, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Photograph, 8" x 10", Black & White
Type of item