Originally attached to Bill Coppinger's machinery shed at Mount Disappointment, this spotlight was found on the ground after the fires. The face of the light had separated from the body and had molded to the shape of the gravel it fell on. The house, shed and all the contents were lost in the Kilmore East Bushfire on 7 February 2009.

This is part of the Victorian Bushfires Collection, which includes a number of interviews with Bill Coppinger and a large range of fire affected artefacts from his destroyed home.

Physical Description

Part of one side of the light has collapsed, a section has broken off and the attachment is missing. The tungsten spiral element is still intact. The original face of the spotlight has retained its circular shape but has warped and buckled as a result of slumping on the surface of crushed rock where it fell.


This is a story of good fire preparation but ultimate defeat before an overwhelming firestorm. On 7 February 2009, the donor watched closely as the Kilmore East Fire jumped the Hume Highway and moved across to the base of his property on Mount Disappointment. He was aware of the fire's movements, had vast amounts of water and was properly prepared to 'stay and defend', but his house, sheds and all their contents were destroyed. He lost his dog and very nearly lost his life.

More Information