Found in the wreckage of Bill Coppinger's kitchen area, this mass of slumped glass with debris embedded in it is believed to be the remains of two glass jars - one smaller than the other - fused together in the heat of the fire. Bill's house at Mount Disappointment and all its contents were lost in the Kilmore East Bushfire on 7 February 2009.

This is part of the Victorian Bushfires Collection, which includes a number of interviews with Bill Coppinger and a large range of fire affected artefacts from his destroyed home.

Physical Description

Two fused melted glass objects: one small bottle, the shape of which remains evident; second object probably a larger bottle. Made of clear glass; ash and other material embedded into glass has given a grey appearance in places; ash loose on object.


This is a story of good fire preparation but ultimate defeat before an overwhelming firestorm. On 7 February 2009, the donor watched closely as the Kilmore East Fire jumped the Hume Highway and moved across to the base of his property on Mount Disappointment. He was aware of the fire's movements, had vast amounts of water and was properly prepared to 'stay and defend', but his house, sheds and all of their contents were destroyed. He lost his dog and very nearly lost his life.

More Information