Photograph of four MF35S tractors pumping water.

Article published in the August 1963 edition of Massey-Ferguson Review features images of: "Up to 25 million gallons of brackish water every 24 hours was pumped into Lake Corangamite, Victoria, for about 12 weeks. Except for daily lubrication it was a non-stop pumping marathon for six tractors, including four MF 35S units."

Part of a collection of photographs, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature relating to Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd and its predecessors. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay, at Ballarat, in the late 1880s, and by 1895 was operating as the Sunshine Harvester Works. After relocating to Braybrook Junction (later renamed 'Sunshine') on the western outskirts of Melbourne, during 1904-1907, the business rapidly developed into the largest agricultural implement works in the southern hemisphere. In 1930, H.V. McKay merged with the Australian operations of the Canadian firm, Massey Harris Ltd, of Toronto, becoming H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd. In 1955, this company was fully absorbed into the growing multinational corporation that became Massey Ferguson Ltd in 1958.

Description of Content

Four MF35 Tractors pumping water out of Cundare Pool and Martin's lake into Lake Corangamite. The tractors are labelled State Rivers and Water Supply Commission.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph

More Information