Summary

Black and white image of nissen huts erected for the reception of migrants in the grounds of the (Royal) Exhibition Building. Grass has grown up between the huts, suggesting that the photograph was taken after the huts ceased to be in regular use in 1962-1963.

The Exhibition Building became known as the Royal Exhibition Building on 1 October 1980, when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, conferred the title "Royal" on the Exhibition Building on the centenary of its opening for the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880-81.

Description of Content

Unpainted corrugated iron huts in foreground with the domed Exhibition Building in the background.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph.

More Information