Colour photograph of the Director of the Exhibition Trustees, Mr John Elden, and Executive Assistant, Mr Collin Challis, with Mr RCT Riddell, sponsors, and two 'Blue Birds' at a Melbourne Tourism Authority event held at the World Trade Centre in Melbourne, on 19 April 1983.

The passing of the Port of Melbourne (World Trade Centre) Act 1978 on the 19 December of that year, granted the Port of Melbourne Authority reponsibility for the construction and operation of the World Trade Centre at the western end of Flinders Street, backing on to the Yarra River. Built in the 'brutalist' style of architecture during the early 1980s, the World Trade Centre opened in 1983.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

John Elden, Collin Challis, RCT Riddell, sponsors and two girls in white boots and navy blue leotards ('The Blue Birds') standing in front of the Exhibition Trustees' stall at the Melbourne Tourism Authority event at the World Trade Centre, Melbourne, on 19 April 1983. Also visible next to the Trustees' stall are the booths for 'On Colour' and Buckle Brothers.

Physical Description

A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information