Black & white photograph of the 'Residency' at the far northern end of the Eastern Annexe prior to its demolition, taken on 30 August 1971. Demolition of the Annexe commenced two days later, 1 September.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View looking south of the northern end of the Eastern Annexe and the old 'Residency', with several cars and a trailer parked in the foreground. A crane visible to the right of the image, in preparation for the building's demolition.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Printed below photograph: The old "Residency" prior to demolition - August 30th 1971.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
256 mm (Width), 202 mm (Height)
Buildings, Demolition Equipment, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1980-1989