Black & white photograph looking westwards along the Great Hall of the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, on 4 February 1985 showing new timber flooring being installed over the underflooring along much of the length of the Hall, and replaced joists in the eastern nave increasingly being covered by underflooring. The work was undertaken as part of a ten-month restoration and maintenance program carried out across 1984-85, called 'Programme '84. Work commenced on 14 June 1984 and was largely completed in time for the International Motor Show that opened on 7 March 1985.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View from the eastern nave of the Great Hall of the Royal Exhibition Building looking towards the western nave during 'Programme '84', a maintenance programe carried out across 1984-85 which included the replacement of the timber flooring. The interior of the Hall is still painted white prior to restoration work undertaken in the 1990s to reinstate the decorative 1901 colour scheme.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
PROGRAMME '84 - From Eastern Entrance February 4th 1985.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
241 mm (Width), 190 mm (Height)