Black & white photograph of the switchboard in the Stadium Annexe in 1971. The Stadium Annexe was built at the rear of the Exhibition Buildings, running east-west off the Eastern Annexe, in October 1956. It was demolished in 1972 as part of the redevelopment of the Eastern Annexe site, following the demolition of the northern end of the Annexe late the previous year.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View of power switchboard inside the building behind a high wire fence with a warning sign on the gate. Metal girders can be seen on either side of the swtichboard enclosure and an electrical cable to the left hanging from above to the floor. There are decorative pillars on the surrounding walls.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Printed below photograph: Switchboard Stadium Annexe 1971.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
246 mm (Width), 161 mm (Height)
Buildings, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: Eastern Annexe, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1970-1979, Royal Exhibition Building: Stadium Annexe, Switchboards