Black & white photograph taken outside showing the northern wall of the Stadium Annexe in 1971, prior to its demolition in April the following year.

Although the caption to this image describes it as being the Annexe's east wall, it in fact depicts the exterior north wall, with the Eastern Annexe just visible in the background to the left of the water tank. Likewise, the entrance on the right lead into the Annexe itself, rather than the Great Hall.

The Stadium Annexe was built at the rear of the Exhibition Buildings, running east-west off the Eastern Annexe, in October 1956. It was demolished in 1972 as part of the redevelopment of the Eastern Annexe site, following the demolition of the northern end of the Annexe throughout August and September 1971.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View looking south-east in the quadrangle formed by the Eastern Anenxe, Stadium Annexe, and northern transept of the Great Hall in 1971. Two men, one appearing to be wearing the uniform of a security guard, can be seen in front of an open double-door into the Stadium Annexe. A corrugated iron water tank is situated against the exterior wall of the Annexe, above the Annexe's toilet block.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information