Colour photograph showing the northern wall of the new Eastern Annexe in 1982, built on the site of the former Stadium Annexe, with the Dome of the Royal Exhibition Building visible above the Annexe roofline.

The Stadium Annexe was built at the rear of the Exhibition Buildings, running east-west off the Eastern Annexe, in October 1956. It was demolished in 1972 as part of the redevelopment of the Eastern Annexe site, following the demolition of the northern end of the Annexe throughout August and September 1971.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View from outside the new Eastern Annexe looking south at the northern wall, with the Dome of the Exhibition Building visible above the roofline of the new Annexe. Parked cars in the northern carpark can be seen reflected in the darkened glass windows of the Annexe.

Physical Description

A colour print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information