Black & white photograph showing the construction of a service tunnel as part of the new Eastern Annexe development in 1973.

Previously, the Stadium Annexe had stood on this site since 1956. It was demolished in 1972 in preparation for a series of new developments at the eastern end of the Exhibition Buildings, including the new Eastern Annexe and later, Centennial Hall.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View of a trench in the process of being dug to act as a service tunnel for the new Eastern Annexe in 1973. An earthernware pipe cuts across the trench at an angle, while the rear section of the trench has already had its walls and roof poured with reinforced concrete.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information