Black & white photograph showing one of the foundation blocks of the new Eastern Annexe, during construction, in 1973.

Previously, the Stadium Annexe had stood on this site since 1956. It was demolished in 1972 in preparation for a series of new developments at the eastern end of the Exhibition Buildings, including the new Eastern Annexe and later, Centennial Hall.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View of a concrete foundation block with a steel roof support bolted into it, and the steel reinforcing lining the trench that would later become the service tunnel for the Eastern Annexe.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information