A newspaper cutting of an article, titled 'The Legend of H. V. McKay', which appeared in the Ballarat Courier, 13th August 1952.

The article reports on a paper presented by Miss E. S. Bishop to the Ballarat Historical Society on the life and character of Hugh Victor McKay.

Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Physical Description

Double-sided, yellowed newspaper cutting. Handwritten text in pencil. Reverse has part of an advertisement. The cutting is adhered to a piece of note paper with printed and stamped text.

More Information