Photograph of the inside of the smithy where reportedly the first Sunshine harvester was manufactured in 1884 at Drummartin by Hugh Victor McKay. The smithy was erected at the front of the Sunshine Harvester Works in 1928, removed in the 1950s and donated to the museum, then known as the Museum of Applied Science.

Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

Interior view of a timber hut featuring tools and equipment, including an anvil.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph.

More Information