Typewritten letter on business letterhead from J. W. Keogh of Deering Harvester Co. (Melbourne), to H. V. McKay & Co. of Ballarat, dated 7th May 1900. The letter is stamped as received on 8th May 1900.
The letter acknowledges receipt of letter dated 4th May 1900 and of a descriptive catalogue, and is awaiting feedback from the Chicago office regarding proposal.
This item is one of nine documents (letters and agreements) relating to the discussions between H. V. McKay and J. W. Keogh, General Agent of the Deering Harvester Company (Melbourne) from 12th March 1900 to 7th May 1900, regarding exclusive agency for the Deering Harvester Co. to sell the H. V. McKay Combine Harvester in Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland.
In 1902, the Deering Harvester Company, the McCormick Harvesting Company, and other smaller companies, merged to form the International Harvester Company which was a major competitor to H. V. McKay.
Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
Single-sided sheet of off-white paper. Printed business letterhead. Typewritten text in purple ink. One round ink stamp with clock image, purple ink. Stamped text in pink ink. Handwritten signature. Handwritten text in blue pencil.
Donation from Mrs. Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw), University of Melbourne Archives (The), circa 1970
Top left, handwritten, blue pencil: ' 4169 ' Printed: ' DEERING HARVESTER CO. / MANUFACTURERS OF / HARVESTING MACHINERY / AND BINDER TWINE / Melbourne, Victoria, / 104 SPENCER STREET .', ' OFFICE & WORKS: / FULLERTON AND CLYBOURN AVENUES, / CHICAGO, U.S.A. ', ' J. W. KEOGH, GEN. AGT. ' Typewritten: ' May 7th, 1900 / Mr. H. V. McKay, / Ballarat. ' [Further text]
Type of item
210 mm (Width), 133 mm (Height)