Photograph of the Kodak Australasia factory in Burnley, late 1950s.
The Burnley building was located at 550-556 Swan Street Burnley and was purchased by Kodak in 1950 as the Abbotsford factory became too cramped. The building was previously the Barnes Honey Factory.
This side view of Kodak's Burnley factory looks across a park and playground to the factory. It appears that a building with billboard hoardings is located before the factory building. This is possibly a house (which appears in other photographs of the Burnley facility eg MM 155394).
Both Kodak's black and white photo finishing laboratory and the Powder and Solution Department (later known as the Photochemical Department) operated out of these premises until1974. The Photochemical Department was transferred to the Coburg factory in 1974, while the photo finishing laboratory closed down at this time because a black and white processing and developing service was no longer provided by Kodak after Burnley was vacated.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
In the foreground is a grass area and pavement. There is a slide positioned in the grass. To the left is a sign: "Penfolds Wine 1844 to Evermore". In the mid-ground are two buildings, a single storey and a two storey brick building. On the side of the single storey is a sign: 'E. & M. 546 TAYLOR, CARS BOUGHT SOLD & EXCHANGED'.
Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper, landscape format with a white border.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
550-556 Swan Street, Burnley, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, late 1950s
In other photographs there are houses located where the playground now exists so it is assumed that this photograph was taken several years later after the houses were demolished.
Photograph, Black & White
Back, stamp: '45234'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
297 mm (Width), 247 mm (Height)