Photograph of the Kodak Australasia factory in Burnley, circa 1953.
Burnley train station was out of shot to the left a short distance.
The Burnley building was located at 550-556 Swan Street Burnley and was purchased by Kodak in 1950 as the Abbotsford factory became too cramped. The building was previously the Barnes Honey Factory.
Both Kodak's black and white photo finishing laboratory and the Powder and Solution Department (later known as the Photochemical Department) operated out of these premises until1974. The Photochemical Department was transferred to the Coburg factory in 1974, while the photo finishing laboratory closed down at this time because a black and white processing and developing service was no longer provided by Kodak after Burnley was vacated.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
In the foreground is a train line with a wire link fence running alongside it. The land is sloping upwards and in the mid-ground. the rear of an industrial brick building is visible.
Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper, landscape format with a white border.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Back, stamp: '45234'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
297 mm (Width), 246 mm (Height)