Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the Kodak Australasia Limited head office and factory at Abbotsford, circa 1912.
Yarra Grange was originally the home of Thomas Baker. In 1884 he established the Austral Plate Company on this site, (the building on the left) where he made photographic plates.This company was later owned by Thomas Baker and John Rouse in 1894, under the partnership name Baker and Rouse. In the first decade of the 20th century the company and factory site was bought and operated by Kodak. In the late 1950s Kodak moved from Abbotsford to a new factory site at Coburg on the northern outskirts of Melbourne.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
Streetscape with row of multi-storey brick buildings. The road running diagonally in the fore to mid ground of the print is paved with blue-stone guttering. To the left is a cleared land area and mid-ground, is the row of buildings following a curved street.
Framed silver gelatin photograph mounted on grey card with text printed beneath, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Front, printed, text, black ink: 'Kodak Head Office and Factory Abbotsford/ Formerly Baker & Rouse/ 1912'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
315 mm (Width), 10 mm (Depth), 231 mm (Height)