Summary

Album of black & white photographs relating to product engineering and field testing of the International Harvester 2-12 sled cultivator & 360 rotary hoe, taken between 1969 and 1977.

Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958. The company also operated a Product Engineering Centre adjacent to its Geelong factory and in 1961 established a Proving Ground at Anglesea for product testing.

Description of Content

Factory photographs of IHC toolbars taken 1966-1968

Physical Description

Red cardboard photograph album/folder with three metal ring binders and multiple yellow album pages. Black and white photographs are mounted to most pages.

More Information