Album of colour photographs relating to motor truck testing done at the International Harvester proving ground at Anglesea, taken between 1978 and 1980.
Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.
The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.
Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958. The company also operated a Product Engineering Centre adjacent to its Geelong factory and in 1961 established a Proving Ground at Anglesea for product testing.
Description of Content
Factory photographs of IHC toolbars taken 1966-1968
Black photograph album/folder with three metal ring binders and multiple yellow album pages. Colour photographs are mounted to most pages, some are detaching.
Donation from International Trucks Pty Ltd, by Nov 1992
Hand written in black ink on tape attached to the album spine [album now discarded]; 'ANGLESEA PROVING GROUND 172 BOOK / 5' Hand written in blue ink on a sticker attached to the front cover of the album; ''ANGLESEA PROVING / GROUND / No 172 BOOK 5' Hand written in blue ink on a sticker attached to the front cover of the album; '#658-'
Type of item