Black and white, glass plate negative of the Kodak Australasia Limited retail shopfront in Block Arcade, 284 Collins Street Melbourne, circa 1911 to 1920.
The shopfront display features several cameras, highlighted as 'presents' and a decorative sunburst made of material with a circular sign in the centre saying 'A Kodak at Christmas is always welcome'.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
A shopfront window with cameras and ribbons of material arranged within, with a few mounted photographs hung around the top of the display. There is a window decal reading 'Kodaks for Xmas' above the display. Beneath the window is a cast address '284 Kodak (Australasia) Limited 284' and two grates.
Black and white silver gelatin glass negative, full plate. Broken into two halves.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Organisation Named on Building
Block Arcade, 284 Collins Street, Kodak (Australasia) Limited, 284 Collins Street, Melbourne, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1911 - 1920
The Block Arcade shop was the flagship retail store for Kodak Australasia Limited in this period.
Glass Negative, Whole Plate, Black & White
Type of item