Black and white photograph of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd branch store and same day processing laboratory on Flinders St, Townsville, Queensland, in the 1930s. This street view shows neighbouring shops, a vegetated traffic island, and a car and bicycle parked on the street out front.
This Kodak store was built in 1920, with the second story added in 1929. Upstairs was the processing lab for printing and developing, and downstairs was the retail shop. Out the back there was a dense tropical garden, shared by Kodak and neighbouring businesses.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Street view including traffic island planted with shrubs and palm tree. In centre frame is a two storey building with Kodak signage.There is also a Queensland Tourist Bureau sign hanging from the awning. Kodak products are visible in the display windows. On the second floor, one window is open above a shop signed 'Pike Brothers Ltd'. A car and bicycle are parked on the street. There is a building next door, 'Willmett's' Printers and Newsagency, which has a second storey verandah.
Black and white photographic print, portrait format with white border.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, 6" X 4", Black & White
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
101 mm (Width), 166 mm (Height)