Black and white photograph of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd 'Kodak House' shop front on Elizabeth St, Hobart, Tasmania on October 22nd, 1935. This street view shows the window displays in the front entrance, the Kodak awning sign and a man is visible in the first storey window.
This Kodak store was built in 1920, with the second story added in 1929. Upstairs was the processing lab for printing and developing, and downstairs was the retail shop. Out the back there was a dense tropical garden, shared by Kodak and neighbouring businesses.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Shop front with Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd sign on awning and glass windows at street level either side of a recessed entranceway. Above the first floor is a mullioned or muntin bay window, where a man is standing.
Black and white photographic print on medium weight card stock, portrait format with white border.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, See Dimensions, Black & White
Reverse, stamped, blue ink: 'KODAK / HOBART / 22 OCT 1935'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
151 mm (Width), 203 mm (Height)