Black and white film negative of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd branch store at 662 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia, taken circa 1935. This street view shows the shop front displays of photographs and photographic products the Kodak shop, and the windows of neighbouring shops.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Two storey Kodak retail building with display windows either side of a recessed entranceway. On the floor above is a sign 'Kodak House' and another reading 'Same Day Service'. Each window on the second storey has a decal listing the product range of the store inside. The decals read as follows, from left to right: 'Cine & Theatre, Supplies, Harringtons, Limited, Raycophone Radio, Radio Parts, Raycophone, Sound Equipment'
Black and white negative, cellulose nitrate; portrait format with two triangular notches in upper corner.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Negative, 6" X 8", Black & White
Type of item