This is a black & white postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building, showing trees and the lake in the foreground, post 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in England.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building from south east. The building and gardens are reflected in the lake in the foreground. A narrow white border surrounds the image. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information