This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the eastern facade and southern drive with two fences in the foreground, circa 1908. The postcard was sent from Melbourne to Miss Kirkpatrick, 'The Briars', West Street, Casino, New South Wales and is postmarked 29 December 1908.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the eastern facade from Nicholson Street with the roadway and fences in the foreground. On the reverse of the card there is handwritten inscription and address and a Victorian one penny postage stamp in the top right hand corner.

More Information