This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building and the gardens in the foreground, post 1905. It shows an electric light, urn and fence within the garden. The postcard, which was sent to Mrs L Frestone, 14 Duckett St, West Brunswick, was printed by Robert Jolley. Robert Jolley began postcard production in Melbourne around 1900.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade with gardens and shrubs in the foreground. The postcard is tinted light blue, pink and green. On the reverse there is a handwritten inscription and address in purple ink. There is no date or stamp.

More Information