This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the southern facade and lake at night, circa 1905. The postcard, which was sent to Master L Bennett of Prahran, was printed as part of the Valentine's Series by Valentine & Sons Ltd.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building at night, showing the southern facade with the lake in the foreground. The interior of the building is illuminated and the moon is reflected in the lake. The reverse of the card contains a handwritten inscription in black ink. There is no date or postmark.

More Information