This is a black & white postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building showing the lake and gardens in the foreground, circa 1914. The postcard, which was sent to Miss A Bowring, 69 Barrack Street, Hobart, Tasmania, was published by the Victoria Stamp Market and printed in Germany. The card is dated 13 August 1914.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade from south east with trees, the southern drive and the lake in the foreground. The photograph is surrounded by a thin white border. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten inscription and address in blue ink.

More Information