This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building with garden beds in the foreground, circa 1905. The postcard was sent to Miss Ryan, 16 Ernest St, Crow's Nest, North Sydney and is postmarked 24 October 1905.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building with a white border at the bottom. In the foreground are neatly planted garden beds and to the left hand side of the postcard there are trees. In the top right hand corner there is a red New South Wales postage stamp and two postmarks. There is a handwritten inscription below the photograph. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten inscription in black ink and two further postmarks.

More Information