Alternative Name(s): Architectural Decoration

Plaster bull's head from the Bull and Mouth Hotel in Bourke Street, Melbourne. The head was retrieved by Whelan the Wrecker during their demolition of the hotel in the 1930s.

The Bull and Mouth Hotel was built in 1851 by publican Matt Condon. Situated in central Bourke Street opposite the Cobb & Co coach office, the hotel became a Melbourne Institution, offering drinks and meals from breakfast until midnight. The plaster head probably was hung above the main bar.

Physical Description

Large bulls head on oval shaped backboard. The bull has a brown painted collar with buckles on either side. The piece appears to have been restored as the horns are very shiny and the head seems to have been painted copper/gold.

More Information