Stock Agent sign. Hung in the Administration Offices on the outside wall of Agent's office or sometimes in the yards at Newmarket Saleyards.

The number of stock and station agents that operated at Newmarket varied widely from year to year. Over the years small personalised stock and station agencies bowed to pressure from larger firms and were taken over. From the original seventeen agents operating when Newmarket saleyards officially opened in 1861, there grew to be thirty-nine operating agents in November 1914. By the time the Newmarket closure was announced in 1985 only twelve companies represented the surviving associated stock and station agents of Melbourne. Six carried original business names: Dalgety Farmers, Elders Pastoral, Victorian Producers Co-Operative, Gippsland and Northern Co-Operative Co., Quiney Mawbey, and Challenge Mercantile Fisken Read. The remaining six included principals and staff from many long-serving organisations of the industry: Brian Rodwell & Co., Webster Richardson and Gillespie, Crowe and Plaisted, Pat O'Connell Livestock, Mick Hornsby & Co., and Keiran McNamara & Co.

Physical Description

Perspex sign, oblong, black with white lettering glued onto both sides. The sign has been screwed into a welded iron edging, forming a frame. Tabs and hooks at the top edge of the frame would have been used for hanging the sign.

More Information