Mounted photograph of the Townsville Second Eight Hour Day Demonstration Committee in 1910.
Part of a collection relating to Australian trade unions and the Eight Hour Day. Action taken by stonemasons on 21 April 1856 led to the establishment of the Eight Hour Day, with the government agreeing that workers employed on public works should enjoy an eight hour day with no loss of pay. It was a world first and became emblematic of the rights of labour. In recognition of the significance of this achievement, April 21 was made a public holiday in 1879 and commemorative marches were held each year from 1879 until 1951. The Eight Hour Day holiday was renamed Labour Day in 1934. In 1955 the Labour Day march and celebrations were replaced by Moomba celebrations.
Description of Content
A group of men organised into three rows. There are seven men sitting in the front row, seven standing in the second row and eight men standing in the back row. The photograph appears to have been taken inside a hall.
Photograph is poorley mounted on a piece of cardboard. The mount appears to have been coloured with charcoal or some form of black dye. There is black text above the image detailing the title of the committee and the date.
Donation from J. Pidcock - Waterside Workers' Federation, 1988
Black ink text: "TOWNSVILLE 2nd EIGHT HOUR DEMONSTRATION/ COMMITTEE 1910"
Type of item
45.3 cm (Length), 0.2 cm (Width), 35.5 cm (Height)