Medal - Royal Society of Tasmania Clive E. Lord Memorial
Awarded to : Phillip G. Law
Dr Phillip Garth Law, A.C., C.B.E., F.T.S.E., F.A.A, was the first Director of the Antarctic Division of the Commonwealth Department of External Affairs, now the Australian Antarctic Division of the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Heritage. Under Dr Law's Directorship Australia established a permanent presence in Antarctica. Joining the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE) in 1947, Dr Law was appointed Director of the newly-formed Division in 1949, a post he held until his retirement in 1966. He was instrumental in the development of the Antarctic Division and the ANARE programs and led the expeditions that established Australia's three Antarctic stations: Mawson in 1954; Davis in 1957; and Casey in 1964. These expeditions and others led by Dr Law between 1954 and 1966 explored and mapped 5000 kilometres of the coastline of the Australian Antarctic Territory while the wintering parties at ANARE stations under his direction explored nearly 2 million square kilometres of previously unknown territory. During this time an extensive variety of scientific programs was developed including Australia's contributions to the International Geophysical Year. Phillip Law has received wide recognition for his work including Australia's highest award (the A.C.), the British C.B.E. and Polar Medal, the Founder's Gold Medal of the Royal Geographical Society, honorary doctorates from three Australian universities and a number of other awards. He was a fellow of the Australian Academy of Science and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
CLIVE / ERROL / LORD 1889-1933
Around : ROYAL SOCIETY OF TASMANIA / THE CLIVE E. LORD MEMORIAL MEDAL. In centre : AWARDED TO/ Phillip G. Law / October 7 . 1958.
Donation from Dr Phillip G. Law AC CBE - Australian Antarctic Division, 13 Dec 1994
CLIVE / ERROL / LORD 1889-1933 (Obverse) Around : ROYAL SOCIETY OF TASMANIA / THE CLIVE E. LORD MEMORIAL MEDAL. In centre : AWARDED TO/ Phillip G. Law / October 7 . 1958. (Reverse)
Type of item