Percussion pepperbox revolver, cal. .360 in., six blued barrells, 91 mm long. Made in Birmingham, late 1840s.
One of 2 revolvers brought to Melbourne from England in August 1853 on the Lady Flora by Phiilip Henry Nunn, father of the donor. Phillip Henry Nunn (1833?-1907) became involved in the establishment of the drapery firm that later merged to become Buckley & Nunn, one of Melbourne's best known department stores.
Victoria Police assigned serial number: 40422VP.
Steel oval triggerguard, trigger and bar-hammer, plain wooden grips secured by a single screw framed by a circular german silver inlay on both sides of grips, flat butt with steel butt cap, case-hardened steel frame and mounts, lightly engraved on both sides, down backstrap, on butt cap, triggerguard, and on bar-hammer with foliate scrolls, has a shield to protect the nipples. No maker's name appears on the frame.
This item was brought to Australia by the donor's father, c.1853, along with the pepperbox revolver held at ST18559.
Donation from Crumpton Bennett Nunn, 02 Dec 1931
Place & Date Made
Phillip Henry Nunn, Melbourne, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1853
One of 2 revolvers brought to Melbourne from England in August 1853 on the Lady Flora by Phiilip Henry Nunn, father of the donor.
Stamped on barrels at breech end with Birmingham proof and view marks.
Type of item
20.9 cm (Length), 3.9 cm (Width), 8.5 cm (Height)
Barrel length: 9.10cm