This scale working model of a motor car chassis and engine was made in Hamburg, West Germany by Hohm Modelle.
Emil Hohm was an Opel car dealer who began building instructional models in the 1930s as a teaching aid to show drivers how a car worked. The engine and drive-train are powered by an electric motor. These models were used in German driving schools where student drivers were required to have an appreciation of basic mechanical principles. Production resumed after World War II and more than 1,000 examples of these Hohm working instructional models were built.
Although this model was apparently built in about 1950, it is based on a 1930s vehicle design and was donated to the Museum in 1958.
Metal car chassis model mounted on a motorised green base. The car has red headlights, rubber wheels and a white steering wheel (on the left).
Donation from J. Millar, 1958
Type of item
1070 mm (Length), 390 mm (Width), 380 mm (Height)
Oldtimer Magazine, February 1995, p. 27-29 By Reinhard Bogena