Summary

HMVS Childers was part of the Victorian colonial navy and built in the United Kingdom by Thornycroft as a fast 63 ton first class torpedo boat equipped with Whitehead torpedoes in two tubes. It was launched in 1884 and on her delivery voyage to Australia was briefly diverted to the Sudan. The Childers was named in honour of Hugh Childers, a member of the Victorian parliament who advocated for the creation of a colonial navy. The Childers was incorporated into the Royal Australian Navy in 1911 and served during the First World War as a tender for the Cerberus. Childers was sold off in 1918 and broken up at Swan Island.

This 1:24 scale model was donated to the Museum by the Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building in 1956.

More Information