Morse embossing register for receiving and recording telegraph signals.
In operation, the intermittent current generated by the received signals causes the embossing stylus to be intermittently pressed on to a moving paper tape. The stylus embosses a series of long and short marks on the tape, with the length of each mark depending on whether the duration of the current flow is long (producing a dash) or short (producing a dot.)
The mechanism which moves the tape is driven by a falling weight attached to a chain passing over a sprocket on the main drive shaft.
Markings indicate that the register was manufactured by Siemens, Halske & Comp. of London. The British subsidiary of Siemens & Halske, of Berlin, was set up as Siemens, Halske & Co. in 1858, and was re-named Siemens Brothers in 1865. Thus it seems likely that this object was manufactured in London in the period 1858-1865.
The object is one of a group of about twenty donated to the Museum in 1915 by the executors of a collector who died in 1898.
Wooden baseboard on which is mounted brass baseplate. Two vertical coils at one end of baseplate. Gear mechanism and embossing mechanism mounted between two brass frames. Arm with spindle to hold reel of paper tape missing. Various terminals for wire connections.
Donation from (Estate of) Mr John J. Thompson, 27 Apr 1915
Small plate attached to baseplate is inscribed: "Siemens, Halske & Comp. London Patent No. 3951" Inscribed on top of baseplate at one end is: "41"
Type of item
345 mm (Length), 255 mm (Width), 170 mm (Height)