Medal - National Agricultural Society of Victoria Commemorative, 1883 (AD)
Mint: not recorded
Other Details: Medal issued by the National Agricultural Society of Victoria (now known as Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria) perhaps to commemorate the first Melbourne Show held at the Ascot Vale site. The Society was formed in 1870 from the Port Phillip Farmers' Society. Farmers' societies were formed with the intention of improving agricultural practices to meet the needs of a steadily increasing Australian population. The newly formed National Agricultural Society of Victoria set up a new show site at Emerald Hill in South Melbourne. The show moved to Ascot Vale in 1883, where shows are held to this day.
A gilt bronze medal (22 mm diameter) set with four arms of a cross the top of which has a loop and ring attached - probably originally had piece of ribbon through which it could be pinned to clothing. The central medal features the heads of a bull, ram and horse in three circles with bunch of grapes, wheat sheaf and plough between and an Australian shield, the arms have been engraved with floral designs.
At centre an Australian Shield quartered by broad cross bearing the five stars of the Southern Cross; the quarters contain a sailing ship, golden-fleece, mining tools and a sheaf of wheat; around, THE NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY OF VICTORIA . 1883 . Soldered to this are four arms to form a cross theses are engraved with floral designs.
The heads of a bull, ram and horse in three circles with bunch of grapes, wheat sheaf and plough between.
The National Agricultural Society of Victoria (now known as Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria) was formed in 1870 from the Port Phillip Farmers' Society. Farmers' societies were formed with the intention of matching farming methods with the needs of a steadily increasing Australian population. In 1870 the National Agricultural Society of Victoria set up a new show site at Emerald Hill in South Melbourne. The current showgrounds in Ascot Vale were established in 1883, and have been the base for the Royal Melbourne Show ever since, this medal was probably associated with celebrations of the success of that move, perhaps issued for the first Melbourne Show on the present site.
In May 1890 Queen Victoria assented to the use of the 'Royal' prefix by the Society in recognition of its ongoing contribution to the improvement of agriculture. The Society then became the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria and the Show, the Royal Melbourne Show. -Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria web site http://www.rasv.com.au/; Essendon Network for Employment, Education and Training web site http://www.enet.org.au/historyonline/mccracken/peter.htm; Glyn Rimmington, University of Melbourne, web site http://rimmo.mur.csu.edu.au/rimmo/hyperbook/5/5.4.html -D. Tout-Smith 2/10/2003.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), George McArthur, 15 Mar 1976
Obverse: THE NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY OF VICTORIA 1883.
Type of item
38 mm (Width), 52 mm (Height), 16.38 g (Weight)
Height is with loop extended
Cross with loop
See the Victorian Heritage Register web site [Link 1] for further information on the showgrounds at Ascot Vale. See also the Royal Agricultural Showgrounds Act 2003, at [Link 2]
[Article] Jewell, Raymond T. 1962. 'Australiana' No.1. Australian Numismatist. 17 (4)