Proof copper coin; Denomination: Penny
Royal Mint, London
Queen Victoria (1837-1901)
The circulation copper penny with Britannia on the reverse was struck for Queen Victoria between 1839 and 1859. It was discontinued in 1860 when it was replaced by a smaller bronze penny. This proof was part of the Sydney Mint's exhibit at the 1879 Sydney International Exhibition. It formed part of the Sydney Mint collection until sold to Dr. Howat at the closure of theat mint in 1926. He donated it to this collection in 1926 on his return from New South Wales.
Head of Queen Victoria facing left, ribbon in her hair; around, VICTORIA DEI GRATIA; below, 1859
Britannia seated facing right holding trident and resting her right hand on a shield; around, BRITANNIAR: REG: FID: DEF:; in exergue, a rose, thistle and shamrock united.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), Dr William Howat, 1976
Type of item
34 mm (Outside Diameter), 18.706 g (Weight)
[Book] Peck, C. W. 1970. English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum., Peck 1520 Pages
[Book] Skingley, Philip. 2007. Coins of England and the United Kingdom., Spink 3948 Pages