Negative of Barry McKay, the son of Victor R McKay. Barry McKay was a student at the Sunshine Technical School in the 1940s where he, amongst other activities, participated in swimming tests. He later served as the Chairman of the Sunshine Tech Ex-Students Association between 1948 and 1949. Barry engaged in local community life as a young boy in Sunshine. In 1931, he raised money for the Sunshine League Cot Fund. In addition, he came second in the boys swimming race (eight to 11 years of age) at the Sunshine Anglers' Club annual picnic in November 1939.
Barry's father Victor was the nephew of company founder Hugh Victor McKay. Victor began working in his uncle's firm as an electrician in 1903 when the company was based in Ballarat. He moved onto manufacturing harvesters for the company. When the business transferred to Sunshine in 1906-1907, Victor was sent to Argentina to assist in the assembly and sales of machinery. He was accompanied by H.V McKay, Sam McKay, John McLean and other experts. He continued to visit Argentina, Chile and Spain for the company until World War I. Barry enlisted in the 8th Border Regiment while in England and served in France before being severly wounded. Upon his return to Sunshine, Barry re-entered the McKay business and travelled to Java, Malaya, Burma, India and Mesopotamia to investigate trade prospects. This was followed by stints in various factory departments in Sunshine, including in the Factory Superintendent's office with his uncle George. In 1930, he became Factory Superintendent and later Director of firms Queensland branch. Barry was actively involved with sporting clubs within the factory and Sunshine district, become President of the cricket, angling, rifle shooting, football and swimming clubs.
Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
Description of Content
Portrait of man wearing shirt, jacket and tie. He is seated in front of a white photography backdrop.
Black and white negative.
Negative, Black & White
Type of item
'Great Effort in Little Places', 1931, Sunshine Advocate, 7 November, p.11. 'Sunshine Anglers' Club Annual Picnic', 1939, Sunshine Advocate, 17 February, p.6. 'Successful Candidates in Swimming Tests', 1944, Sunshine Advocate, 14 April, p.4. 'Sunshine Tech Ex-Students', 1948, Sunshine Advocate, 23 July, p.2. 'S.T.S Ex-Students' Assn', 1949, Sunshine Advocate, 11 March, p.2. McNeill, D & the McKay Family 1984, The McKays of Drummartin & Sunshine: Their Personal Story, published privately for the H.V McKay family reunion, Melbourne, p.76-77.